Poland raises air defence readiness following Russian attacks on Kyiv

Poland raises air defence readiness following Russian attacks on Kyiv

Poland Heightens Air Defenses Amid Intensified Russian Strikes

WARSAW – Poland put air defenses on the “highest state of readiness” after the latest round of Russian strikes on Kyiv, which Polish Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski said underscored Moscow’s determination to keep fighting, reports 24brussels.

Russia launched extensive air attacks on Ukraine overnight from Wednesday into Thursday, targeting Kyiv and other cities with ballistic missiles and drones. Civilians were killed, and an EU delegation building suffered damage during the assaults.

Military aircraft stationed in Poland were placed on immediate alert in response to the Russian strikes, mirroring earlier countermeasures against air raids from across the border.

“To ensure the security of Polish airspace, the Operational Commander of the Armed Forces has activated all necessary procedures. Polish and allied aircraft have begun operations, while ground-based air defense and radar reconnaissance systems reached the highest state of readiness,” the Polish military stated in a post on X.

The military clarified that these operations were preventive, aimed at safeguarding airspace and protecting citizens, especially near the border with Ukraine. By 7am on Thursday, fighter jets were reported to have returned to base, with no violations of Polish airspace noted. The Polish Operational Command expressed gratitude to NATO Air Command and the Swedish Air Force for their assistance.

“Putin’s missiles killed Ukrainian civilians last night and damaged a European Union delegation building. This is how Russia claims to be fighting for peace,” Sikorski wrote on X, referring to the recent one-on-one meeting between US President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska.

Sikorski confirmed no injuries occurred at the Polish embassy in Kyiv, despite damage from a prior Russian strike about a month ago.

Meanwhile, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russian media that no truce agreement had been reached with Ukraine regarding the ongoing air war. “I repeat once again: everything that may be discussed in the search for ways to move toward a settlement must be discussed discreetly,” he remarked.

Earlier this week, Polish President Karol Nawrocki vetoed a law intended to extend temporary support for Ukrainian refugees, prompting significant backlash from Prime Minister Donald Tusk’s coalition and various experts. This veto threatens to leave up to one million Ukrainian refugees in Poland without access to social welfare benefits, including child benefits. Nonetheless, Tusk’s government has committed to introducing new measures that will cover foreigners more comprehensively.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't Miss

White House condemns Russian strikes on Kyiv as a threat to peace efforts

White House condemns Russian strikes on Kyiv as a threat to peace efforts

Trump’s Envoy Condemns Deadly Russian Strikes on Kyiv Keith Kellogg, Donald Trump’s
Russian air defenses down 95 Ukrainian drones amid stalled peace talks with Kiev

Russian air defenses down 95 Ukrainian drones amid stalled peace talks with Kiev

Russian Air Defenses Intercept Ukrainian Drones Amid Growing Tensions In a significant